Tuesday 2 April 2013

Train Journal – Day One

3/27/2013

8:30

Considered one of the most epic and scenic train journeys in the world, the Great Canadian train is supposed to rival the India Pacific train in Australia and even the Trans-Siberian Express. Although not as strenuously long as the trans-Siberian and with far less working class, vodka marinated Russians... well so far there have been none... the journey across Canada should prove interesting enough.

I was initially forced to rethink how to get back across Canada due to a rideshare issue. I was able to pick up a seat saver train ticket for about a quarter of the regular price. So I said, “why not?, I'm planning on doing some other train journeys, might as-well do Canadas epic journey”.

At three and a half days and 4,466km from Vancouver to Toronto some would see this as a strenuous marathon, or a boring and cramped mode of transport, but I saw it as an opportunity to see something different, relax and travel stress free. It gives me time to think, write and certainly reflect on the past 6 months in Vancouver and the future of my travels.


I caught the train at Vancouver’s Pacific Central Station at 20:30 and it was smooth sailing to hop on the train and find a seat. Seats were first come first serve, and seeing as the train at the moment (Just past Kamloops) is only about 1/3 capacity, I took the liberty of finding myself a cozy window seat for the journey.

Since the Canadian leaves three times a week eastward bound and in the evening, you miss out on the Pacific Coastal mountains and wake up dozily in the dry rolling hills of the Kamloops area. I slept through the stop at Kamloops, but from my last time there as a kid I really don’t think I missed much.

From Kamloops it is a landscape of dry, brown grass and burnt forests(a large portion of the forests were burnt last summer) and the train slowly works its way along the Thompson River. The mountains start to take on a more peak-ly, Rockies form, snow starts to appear along the tracks and it is no longer quite as dry as Kamloops.


It is about 8:30 in the morning and we are in this mountain transformation zone as I earlier described... Landscape is changing and the weather is beautiful. Forgive me but for the interests of the reader, I am going to flash some photos. I think I am sitting on the wrong side(right hand side of the train).

10:15

Well Breakfast is all wrapped up here, and now I am just sitting and writing in the bubble viewing platform which is very neat. The mountains are starting to take on a more rugged and erosion defined look, the river valley is starting to narrow and snow is all around us. Snowy peaks can be seen off to the East as the train winds along the valley floor.

I am not sure what side of the train I should sit on for the best views rolling into Jasper, but I will try and stay on the same side that the river is on. The reason for this is that the best views are the ones where the tree cover gives way to excellent views across the valleys.
I woke up this morning and decided to venture to the dining car for some breakfast. Half expecting over priced fare with a distinct airplane food taste I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only was the quality great, but the prices weren't as bad as I thought. It is certainly no Bonn's off Broadway but this is a VIA train, not East Van.

With the menu small they are able to carve out a pretty nice fare. Of course there is your standard breakfast special aptly named “The Trans-Continental” (12$), what I decided to go with to play it safe. As well on the menu you will find the Chefs Omelet, this morning filled with tomatos and feta cheese (12$), French Toast (12$) baked with a berry sauce and fruit on the side, and for the meager breakfast diner there is a Continental Breakfast(9$) that is essentially oatmeal, bagel and I think some yogurt. 

I will skip lunch as I am on a tight budget but I will see what dinner has to offer. The below image is the viewing car aboard 'The Canadian'







20:30

Its night and we have entered into the the less than exiting part of he journey, the rolling hills of central Alberta. It was a great day all in all with what I think will be the climax of the journey, a 45 minute segment of spectacular views east of Jasper. There are some really special and epic views that I really hope my photography does justice. 

I've unfortunately forgotten my camera charger back in Vancouver and to buy a new one in Jasper would have cost me $70.00. So the rest of my journey after my battery dies will be pictures taken on my iPhone.

The train stopped in Jasper which was nice and we were able to grab some food at the grocery store and some beer at the liquor store. On the topic of alcoholic beverages on VIA Rail, I might point out for future travelers that Booze is NOT allowed on the train... I was about 2 and a half beers in when one of the stewards confiscated my beer and a new friends beer(still get it back in Toronto but its still a pain in the ass).
It is strange though because we were convincingly informed by some of our fellow travelers that departed the train at Jasper that we could drink beer aboard. As well I tried to check on the internet to find some sort of policy, but I could not find anything aside from 'No Smoking' rules.

I have met a few cool friends aboard the train now and all of them are 4:20 friendly... as I discovered on the stop in Jasper. No regrets that we did so before the best 45 minuted of the journey.

I have decided not to eat dinner at the restaurant tonight, but possibly tomorrow night I will.

This will likely be my last correspondence today, good night from about 2 hours west of Edmonton.

W

No comments:

Post a Comment